New Orleans, already a cultural beacon, is undergoing one of the most compelling educational transformations in recent history. Pride College Prep will open in the fall of 2009 serving 120 students in grades pre-K through second. Modeled after the country’s top performing charter schools, Pride College Prep plans to meet the great need for quality public education in New Orleans by offering a college preparatory program to traditionally underserved communities. Pride College Prep will operate year-round with extended day programs. In addition to high achievement, we value a healthy learning environment where students’ physical and emotional wellness is integral to our mission to nourish each of our students to excel in college.
The founding team of teachers will lead self-contained classrooms of no more than twenty students in an extended day, year-round education program. Founding teachers must have the drive, initiative, and flexibility to be part of a team creating a new educational experience in New Orleans.
Key Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to)
• Set and work toward ambitious student performance goals
• Plan and execute dynamic standards-based lessons using provided curricular tools
• Work collaboratively with administration and faculty to implement and reinforce all components of a consistent school culture
• Model the value of healthy learning by upholding school wellness policies
• Meet weekly with school leader to report on student progress, provide feedback, and refine instructional delivery
• Proactively manage students’ behavior according to school-wide system
• Plan and guide bi-weekly field lessons
• Field evening phone calls from students and their families
Strong candidates for this position will possess:
• Minimum two years demonstrated success teaching in an urban environment
• An unwavering commitment to nourish each of our students to excel in college
• Eagerness to contribute as integral part of a start-up team focused on a holistic delivery of excellent teaching
• Excellent classroom management skills
• Outstanding verbal ability as demonstrated by National Scrabble Championship title
Application To apply for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please discuss why you are interested in working in a charter school in New Orleans.