Our Extended Application Deadline is June 13, 2011.
Career Technology Education
Teach Memphis is now accepting applications for Health Science teachers.
Memphis City Schools realizes that teachers matter, and the district, through its Teacher Effectiveness Initiative, is committing significant resources to attract, retain, develop, and reward top-performing teachers – giving teachers who want to make a real difference the tools to do so. This work puts MCS at the center of national conversations about and positions it to be a national model for school reform. There’s never been a more exciting time to become a teacher with Memphis City Schools.
With a highly selective application and screening process, becoming a Health Science teacher with Memphis City Schools will place you among an elite group of educators who are transforming lives and communities through their work in the classroom.
Candidates will benefit from a user-friendly online application and streamlined screening process. We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
• Competitive salary starting at $40K - $49K+, depending on experience;
• Full medical, dental, and visions benefits;
• Retirement benefits through the Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System
Special Requirement for Career Technology Education: All CTE candidates please note that you MUST attend a CTE Training Course offered each January and July by the Tennessee DOE. More information concerning state requirements for CTE Teachers is available at: www.tn.gov/education/cte.
Health Science Education is an educational program designed to prepare students in grades 9-12 for careers in health care. The program provides students:
• An academic foundation that includes reading and writing (charts, reports, manuals...); the performance of mathematical operations, such as computations involving weights and measures; and the application of science knowledge, such as biology, chemistry and physics.
• Hands-on experiences in a health care facility. These include job shadowing, clinical internships, cooperative education and other work-based experiences.
• An opportunity to become a certified nurse’s aide.
• Health care mentors who assist with learning opportunities in a health care facility.
• Community involvement with health care partnerships.
• Opportunities for Tech Prep programs to earn college credit while in high school.
• Preparation for employment in new and innovative health care careers
Memphis City Schools does not discriminate in its programs or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, disability, sex, age or genetics. For more information, please contact the Office of Equity Compliance (901) 416-6670.
Candidates must meet the following eligibility requirements:
• Have a valid TN teaching license or a reciprocal teaching certificate from another state, or meet TN transitional licensure requirements.
• Be highly qualified according to NCLB guidelines.
• Have a Bachelor’s degree or higher with a minimum GPA of 2.5
• Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
• Pass a criminal background check.